Friday, August 10, 2007

Praying MAN-tis

After a very filling dinner last night I came home to throw on my fat-man clothes and lounge about before hitting the sack when I turned on the TV and started watching a show called "When Animals Go Bad" about the various mating habits etc of different animals. I was especially interested in the Praying Mantis and after watching it started making a lot of human connections. Here is what I learned:

The female praying mantis is much larger than the male and apparently quite moody. In order for the two to mate, the male must begin a process which greatly resembles foreplay. He must first calm down the female and gently stroke her, rubbing her back and her front. (Men, I hope you're taking note) He then gets behind her and mounts her rubbing her down still to keep her steady and violently thrusts himself in. His rubbing continues as he pumps on. The mating process of the praying mantis usually takes about 2 hours (Keep dreaming ladies). However, as is common, about 2 minutes into the act, the female turns her head around and proceeds in one swift movement to bite off the head of the male. You would think that it would kill the mood, but ohhh no. The male continues to pump because as it turns out, he actually has two brains, one in his head, the other at the bottom half of his body so that in the event he is decapitated he can continue to fulfill his duties. The process ends and his body is left discarded, and the female moves on either pregnant or onto her next conquest.

Once I had seen this, I had to reflect upon it for a moment. I bet a lot of women could really relate to this process. There have been quite a few times during sex that I've gotten a really good look at the person behind me and have wished I could have taken off his head right then and there but I've always tried to supress my urges that lean towards dismemberment. But perhaps we should be taking a cue from our sister animals. After all haven't we all come to the realisation, and usually through experience, that in 98% of men their true brain and thought process reside in the 'lower half' of their bodies?